Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Jumping Ship!

Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure . . . . . . . . I was registered for 2012 and looking forward to joining with my Trekkin' for Ta-Tas teammates in San Diego in November . . . . . . . . . and then it all went bad!

I don't need to go into the mess that Susan G. Komen created because I'm sure you're aware of it. For many reasons - including the question in my mind as to whether the funds raised by the thousands of 3-Day walkers are actually going to find a cure for cancer - our team has decided to drop out of the 3-Day walk this year.


It was not an easy decision for me because I had already received donations toward that walk. I didn't want to disappoint the people who are supporting me and have supported me the past two years.

I thought about doing nothing this year . . . . . . forget the walk, move on to supporting something else. And then we found out that another one of Ted's cousins got the terrible news . . . . . . she has breast cancer.

She is the one in eight, and it sucks!

So, what do I do now? Our team made the decision to walk in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. Part of me feels like a traitor. But then I have to remember that I'm still supporting the cause. And I'm still walking with friends. And I'm still hoping for a cure someday. And yes, I'll still be wearing pink . . . . . . and wearing my cat ears!

I'll be walking in Santa Barbara in September - it's a two day walk instead of three, so my feet are already thanking me! And I'll thank you too if you help me reach the $1,800 that each walker must raise. I'm glad to see that Avon lets you know exactly how the money is spent.

If you have someone special in your life that has been affected by breast cancer, I'd be happy to carry their name with me during the walk. You can find my donation page here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!